Archive

Archive for July, 2009

Login Fails with IE8 and Windows 2003

July 30, 2009 Leave a comment

I created a new virtual machine (using VMWare Workstation 6.5). I install Windows 2003 R2 32 bit as the host OS. I added DNS and Active Directory to create a test domain. I installed SharePoint SP2 (WSS and MOSS ) as a standalone, one server farm.

I performed some tasks at a client site using the test environment. One of the tasks was to add some additional functionality to an existing site. The existing site was branded, so I copied the CSS and master pages of the existing site into my test environment. I noticed that the branding did not look exactly the same between the two sites. I was using IE8 to view the existing site, so I decided to upgrade my test environment by installing IE8 as the browser.

After the install, I could not authenticate to the existing SharePoint site I had created! The browser would ask for login three times and then fail with a 401 error. I verified that I could ping the site – test.magenium.com – which was a host header SharePoint site on port 80 (and which had a Host A record in DNS for IP address 200.200.0.100) . No problems with pinging. Then I tried using the following in a browser

http://200.200.0.100 – and to my suprise, the default web site appeared (litwaredemo). I tried several IDs, reset passwords, reinstalled IE8 – no luck fixing the problem.

Later in the week, I was at another client, and we discussed a problem they had with the SharePoint Search crawler, which was getting the following errors

Access is denied. Check that the Default Content Access Account has access to this content, or add a crawl rule to crawl this content. (0x80041205)


The following KB article describes the disable loopback fix –

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861

After reading the KB article, I tried the fix (method 2 in the KB article) for my IE8 problem and the problem of loging in was solved.

Categories: SharePoint 2007