Archive

Archive for September, 2009

This Site – No Search Results

September 15, 2009 Leave a comment

If a site returns no search results when using the built in scope “This Site:” or “This List:” it could be a problem with Alternate Access Mappings. Verify that these are correct – use this article for the best explanation on how to configure AAM.

http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2007/03/06/what-every-sharepoint-administrator-needs-to-know-about-alternate-access-mappings-part-1.aspx

Also, if you get “No results found” on a site, check the Manage Crawl Rules page for an exclusion rule was added – Central Admin > SharedServices > Search Administration > Crawl rules

Categories: SharePoint 2007

Solution Upgrades

September 3, 2009 Leave a comment

Usually deploying a new version of a solution (.wsp) can be done with the following STSADM commands in a batch file –

 1: @setlocal
 2: @pushd.
 3: @set PATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN;%PATH%
 4: @cd %~dp0
 5: @echo Retracting Solution
 6: stsadm -o retractsolution -name "solution.wsp" -immediate -allcontenturls
 7: stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs
 8: @echo Removing Solution
 9: stsadm -o deletesolution -name "solution.wsp"
 10: @echo Adding Solution
 11: stsadm.exe -o addsolution -filename "solution.wsp"
 12: @echo Deploying Solution
 13: stsadm.exe -o deploysolution -name "solution.wsp" -immediate -allowGacDeployment -force -allcontenturls
 14: stsadm.exe -o execadmsvcjobs
 15: iisreset
 16: @pause
 17: @popd
 18: @endlocal

However, when updating a solution with new code, this might not work correctly. If it does not, use the STSADM command UPGRADESOLUTION

Categories: SharePoint 2007

Datasheet View not working in a VM

September 2, 2009 1 comment

I ran into a problem using the datasheet view when developing a solution in my development environtment. The view opens, but no changes are saved – I get the error: “Cannot connect to the server at this time”. I found the following on

http://suguk.org/blogs/the_moss-pit/archive/2008/10/31/14851.aspx

and it worked for me. My dev environment is a VMWare Workstation 6.5.1 image running a W2K3 32 bit OS, WSS, MOSS (stand alone deployment – one server) and Office 2007 installed.

—————————————

Found the solution in this article on Ishai Sagi’s blog. Ishai is an absolute legend on the OzMOSS mailing list (an Australian-based mailing list dealing with SharePoint trials and tribulations), and this is just one of a number of gems to be found on his blog (www.sharepoint-tips.com). The reason for this behavior was that the office objects used to connect office to sharepoint were checking the network status, which was failing as I am using a stand-alone server as my development environment. Ishai’s tip is to fool the office component by temporarily stopping the network sensing mechanism. Do this by:
1. Close all office applications and internet explorer windows.
2. Click Start>Run
3. Write in the text box “net stop sens” and press enter.
This worked for me for a short period of time (until the network sensing mechanism restarted itself I assume). Re-running the command stops the network sensing mechanism again, and lets you continue with your datasheet editing!
Thanks once again Ishai, and keep up the great work!!
—————————————

Categories: SharePoint 2007